Epub – Journal of Comparative Neurology
Ultrastructural Analysis of Parvalbumin Synapses in Human Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex

March 26, 2017

Glausier JR, Roberts RC, Lewis DA

Coordinated activity of neural circuitry in the primate dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) supports a range of cognitive functions. Altered DLPFC activation is implicated in a number of human psychiatric and neurological illnesses. Proper DLPFC activity is, in part, maintained by two populations of neurons containing the calcium-binding protein parvalbumin (PV): local inhibitory interneurons that form Type II synapses, and long-range glutamatergic inputs from the thalamus that form Type I synapses. Understanding the contributions of each PV neuronal population to human DLPFC function requires a detailed examination of their anatomical properties. Consequently, we performed an electron microscopic analysis of (1) the distribution of PV immunoreactivity within the neuropil, (2) the properties of dendritic shafts of PV-IR interneurons, (3) Type II PV-IR synapses from PV interneurons, and (4) Type I PV-IR synapses from long-range projections, within the superficial and middle laminar zones of the human DLPFC. In both laminar zones, Type II PV-IR synapses from interneurons comprised ∼60% of all PV-IR synapses, and Type I PV-IR synapses from putative thalamocortical terminals comprised the remaining ∼40% of PV-IR synapses. Thus, the present study suggests that innervation from PV-containing thalamic nuclei extends across superficial and middle layers of the human DLPFC. These findings contrast with previous ultrastructural studies in monkey DLPFC where Type I PV-IR synapses were not identified in the superficial laminar zone. The presumptive added modulation of DLPFC circuitry by the thalamus in human may contribute to species-specific, higher-order functions.

Glausier JR, Roberts RC, Lewis DA. Ultrastructural analysis of parvalbumin synapses in human dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. J Comp Neurol. 2017 Jun 15;525(9):2075-2089. doi: 10.1002/cne.24171. Epub 2017 Mar 26. PubMed PMID: 28074478; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5397325.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5397325/

Laboratory of David A. Lewis, MD

Researching the neural circuitry of the prefrontal cortex and related brain regions, and the alterations of this circuitry in schizophrenia.

 

 

© 2020 University of Pittsburgh

            a

lewisda@upmc.edu

            a

UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital
3811 O’Hara Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2593

            a

University of Pittsburgh
Department of Psychiatry
W1651 Biomedical Science Tower
203 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2593

            a

412-246-6010